This guide is intended to be an informative beginning to the advising process for prospective music majors. It is not intended to substitute for one-on-one academic advising or faculty-student counseling. Please review this information carefully and meet with one of our music faculty members and an enrollment counselor before deciding if majoring in music is right for you.

Thank you for your interest in majoring in music at Santa Rosa Junior College. We are proud to offer a comprehensive music program with a long tradition of excellence and outstanding ensembles. We believe that the experience you will gain as an SRJC music student will prepare you for the future, whether you transfer to a four-year university music program or find employment in the music industry. 

If you are thinking about pursuing a career in music, a music degree may or may not be the right thing for you, depending on your intentions. Music at the college level is a very competitive field that usually focuses on classical music and jazz. Students majoring in music typically have extensive experience in music prior to matriculation in a college music program. A conventional four-year college/university undergraduate music program will offer degrees in music with majors in instrumental or vocal performance, elementary and secondary music education, music composition and musicology/music theory. Some, but not all, undergraduate music programs also offer majors in recording technology, sacred music, music therapy, musical theater, music publishing, music business/arts administration, and more. Advanced degrees in music are available in all of these disciplines, with the additional availability of majors in specialized disciplines like ethnomusicology and conducting. A list of careers in music, along with salary scales and suggested college training, can be found at the The National Association For Music Education Web site.

SRJC now offers the associates in arts degrees in Instrumental/Vocal Music, Jazz Studies, and Digital Arts: Recording Technology. These degrees are designed to be transferable to the majority of CSU/UC institutions. Because articulation agreements are negotiated on an individual basis with each institution, a receiving institution can reserve the right to evaluate which credits can be accepted for transfer on a case-by- case basis. If possible, students should consult with a counselor from the receiving institution throughout the process of being matriculated at SRJC. 


More General Information (Q&A)

If I earn an associate degree in Music from SRJC, can I automatically go to the four-year school of my choice to finish a bachelor’s degree? 

Entrance to most  four-year college/university music programs is by competitive audition. You also must meet the general entrance requirements of the college or university, usually defined by GPA and/or standardized test scores. Keep in mind that due to recent budget cuts, CSU and UC institutions are extremely limited for space and must, in some cases, give enrollment preference to students in their geographic areas. Students who do not pass the audition are typically barred from taking music courses at the four-year college/university. Once you have been accepted into the music program, an advisor will evaluate your transcript to determine how your completed coursework will transfer toward earning a bachelor's degree. It is important that you understand the transfer requirements of the college you wish to attend. Consult with an advisor at the four-year college or university prior to enrolling at SRJC.

How do I declare myself a music major at SRJC?

Technically, a student at SRJC does not declare a major until the completion of requirements for the degree plan have been reached. Taking the necessary coursework in ensemble and applied music does require audition and ongoing evaluation.

I can’t decide on a major. I like music, but I don’t sing or play an instrument.  Can I still major in music?  

With the exception of the major in Digital Audio Production, it is possible, though not recommended. Music is a unique discipline, in that students majoring in music are expected to have a certain amount of expertise by the time they enter college. Most college music majors have had years of specialized training and ensemble experience.  Some students have innate musical talent that allows them to quickly gain proficiency in an instrument or voice. This is the exception, rather than the norm. 

I want to go to the Berklee College of Music in Boston. Will my SRJC credits transfer?

As with most highly competitive institutions, Berklee has limitations on the credits it considers transferable. While some general education credits are transferable, music credits earned outside of Berklee are not. Read the Berklee Transfer Credit Guide carefully for detailed information.

How can I get private lessons on my instrument/voice?

Students in the Applied Music Program take a half hour lesson once a week with members of SRJC’s expert music faculty. An audition is required to participate in this program, a necessary component of the associates in arts degrees in Music. For more information, view the Applied Music page.